Monday, June 09, 2008

Ok, so its not pretty, its not pretty at all and I could have dressed it up or at least cleaned the plate, but it was late and this is indulgent food which is kind of a confession.

I love chicken livers. I adore peri-peri chicken livers on floury white rolls with butter. I love the texture and the flavour and the heat of the peri-peri.

This is a recipe I borrowed from the Nand0s website when I discovered they don't serve these chicken livers at the restaurants here in Australia. Subsequently they have introduced them on the menu and I am a happy girl because I already know I can make them myself at home for a fraction of the price.

Figados de Galinha (peri-peri chicken livers)

500g chicken livers
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 bay leaves
a glug of white wine
Nand0's Peri Peri Sauce (to taste)

1. Trim and wash livers.
2. Place butter and olive oil in a frying pan.
3. Add livers and spices and fry until just brown.
4. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add bay leaves and wine and simmer over low heat for 5-8 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning and add the Hot or Medium Peri-Peri sauce if required.

Enjoy hot with fresh white rolls and butter, washed down with a large glass of wine.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Oh I LOVE spicy chicken livers!! I make sure I have them from Nando's every time I go home ;-)

Did you ever get my message about the SA Food and Wine Blogger Directory? It's up and running now at http://cooksister.typepad.com/sa_food_and_wine And you are already on it! You will also see that I am doing weekly blogger profiles (Rainbow Kitchen, Cathy van Zyl and Kitsch ' Zinc are already up) - if you want me to do one of you too, feel free to nick the questions off one of the posted profiles and send me your answers!