Ok, so its not pretty, its not pretty at all and I could have dressed it up or at least cleaned the plate, but it was late and this is indulgent food which is kind of a confession.
I love chicken livers. I adore peri-peri chicken livers on floury white rolls with butter. I love the texture and the flavour and the heat of the peri-peri.
This is a recipe I borrowed from the Nand0s website when I discovered they don't serve these chicken livers at the restaurants here in Australia. Subsequently they have introduced them on the menu and I am a happy girl because I already know I can make them myself at home for a fraction of the price.
Figados de Galinha (peri-peri chicken livers)
500g chicken livers
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2 bay leaves
a glug of white wine
Nand0's Peri Peri Sauce (to taste)
1. Trim and wash livers.
2. Place butter and olive oil in a frying pan.
3. Add livers and spices and fry until just brown.
4. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add bay leaves and wine and simmer over low heat for 5-8 minutes.
6. Adjust seasoning and add the Hot or Medium Peri-Peri sauce if required.
Enjoy hot with fresh white rolls and butter, washed down with a large glass of wine.