Friday, June 18, 2010

Chocolate cake in a mug in the microwave.

The other night I was craving something chocolately and delicious and the cooking chocolate chips just weren't doing it for me. I remember reading a while back about a chocolate cake in a mug that you make in the microwave which sounded like just the thing.

Five minutes later and my dessert was ready!

Probably the easiest chocolate recipe I have ever made:

Chocolate Cake in a mug.

Ingredients:
2 tbs flour

2.5 tbs sugar
1 tbs cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp coffee granules
pinch of salt
1 small egg
1.5 tbs milk
1.5 tbs oil
1.5 tbs chocolate
½ tsp vanilla extract

Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and coffee in your mug. Preferably a larger than regular sized coffee mug. Pour in the milk, oil, broken up chocolate and vanilla extract. Mix well. Whisk the egg in another mug and pour into the mixture. (TIP if your eggs are large I would suggest doubling the rest of the ingredients and making two mugs, sharing the large egg across both mugs.) Sprinkle the batter with some more chocolate and cover with clingfilm. Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute, check the consistency, it should be gooey but appear cakelike on top, I needed to cook mine for a further 30 seconds and it was perfect, cakey on top, moist and chocolately inside and I couldn't eat the whole thing on my own!

2 comments:

Nicol said...

Sounds delicious! Do you think it would work without the coffee? We don't drink coffee.

Jocelyn said...

Hi Sarah

Just discovered your blog through the SA Food Blogger network. Looks great!

I keep a similar recipe (labelled "microwave mug cake" on the door of my fridge just in case a craving hits late at night! It's such a great standby for when you just need a little something to perk you up after a bad day.

Regards
Jocelyn