Monday, June 30, 2008

It was my birthday this weekend and as always it involved lots of eating! Just the way I like it. My special birthday breakfast was American style pancakes with crispy bacon and lashings of maple syrup. There is nothing healthy about this meal and thats why its a birthday special occasion feast.

I love these fluffly pancakes and think I actually might prefer them over the more traditional recipe, mainly because the batter doesn't improve through standing infact because you fold beaten egg whites into the mixture, its best cooked and eaten immediately.

American style pancakes.
3 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of milk
pinch of salt

First seperate the eggs and put the yolks into a bowl with the flour, baking powder and milk. Mix to a smooth batter. It was a lot thicker than I was expecting!

Next beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks.

Fold the whites into the batter and you are ready to cook.

I use a non-stick frying pan with the lightest spray of vegetable oil.

Serve with crispy bacon and drizzle with real maple syrup for a delicious special occasion breakfast.

No comments: